To make your sewing projects go smoothly, here are a few tips to allow you to work more efficiently.
- Set up a permanent work area for the duration of your project. You’ll lose time and momentum if you have to break down your work area after you finish each day.
- Work on as large a surface as possible. If you’re using a dining room table, extend the table to its maximum size. If all else fails, move away all the furniture and use the floor.
- Make sure you have a good light source in your work area.
- Keep all of your tools orderly and within reach.
- When sewing large volumes of fabric, keep the weight of the fabric from pulling on the needle by positioning a chair in front of and behind the sewing machine to “catch” the fabric as you sew.
- Wind three bobbins before you start a large project; you will always have a spare at your fingertips.
- Start each project with a new needle; needles become dull through use.
- Press by lifting the iron up and down. “Sweeping” the iron back and forth stretches the bias edges and seams.
- Always work with clean hands during the construction process. Avoid eating and drinking in your work area because spills and stains can be the downfall of any sewing project.