Sometimes, it’s the simple things that can take a room from being so-so to becoming sensational. Consider these suggestions for creating an interesting room.
- Determine what shapes dominate the room you are decorating. Look at the shapes of your sofa, television, tables, bed, dresser and so on. If the majority of the lines are squares or rectangles, add some interesting accessories that are circular in shape.
- Do you have either (1) a lot of fabric-covered items in the room or (2) a lot of matching wood surfaces? This sameness can be boring to the eye. An easy solution is to introduce other surfaces or textures such as smooth glass, shiny metallics, or even baskets and rugs. Consider using opposite textures within the same room: rough and smooth, dark and light, shiny and dull.
- Arrange the accessories in the room so they are different eye levels. For example, use two different-sized table lamps in the same room or group together some accessories that are of different heights on a shelf, mantel, or side table.
- Make sure to include area rugs that are in proportion to your furnishing. They will tie the room together.
- Include plenty of green plants in your decorating scheme for texture and a touch of nature. Make the plants part of the grouping-don’t place them off on their own.
Donna Babylon is a DIY and sewing guru. Her latest book is Decorating Sewlutions: Learn to Sew as You Decorate Your Home. Learn more at www.MoreSplashThanCash.com .