Seminars and Workshops
Donna’s entertaining seminars reflect her personable and easy-going manner as she shares her practical approach to decorating. She has thousands of DIY ideas in her toolbox that help audiences create the rooms of their dreams. She captivates audiences of all sizes through lively “chalk talks” and colorful slide presentations. Seminar attendees leave with a new found confidence to tackle their own decorating projects.
Here are a few topics that Donna offers, but she will be happy to tailor a “Day of Decorating” for your store or organization by mixing and matching topics to best suit the interests of your group. Her seminars provide inspiration, ideas, and techniques as Donna explains her “tools, not rules” approach to decorating.
“Donna is a very entertaining and energetic speaker and provides an incredible amount of information. I came away inspired.” – E. Marr, Gig Harbor, Washington
“Donna has so many great ideas and was full of enthusiasm. I can’t wait to take another class from her.” – Sharon from California
“What an inspiration! And, your enthusiasm in contagious. I am inspired to get going on decorating my home.” – A. Potts, Western Washington
“This was the first time I took a class from Donna. I learned so much! She really knows how to get her information across.” – Lisa G., Duluth, GA
“Donna is so encouraging. I am a new sewer and after taking her class, I feel confident to start a project.” – Karen M., Cleveland, OH
More Splash Than Cash® Decorating
Don’t think you have time to complete a decorating project? Or, you don’t know where to start in the first place? Could you use some advice to help cope with common decorating dilemmas such as boring rooms, plain walls, big dreams and tight budgets? No problem. Donna will share her common cents secrets from simple wall treatments and accessories to fool-the-eye tricks. Find out how you can turn boring spaces into show places— without breaking the bank!
Home dec sewing has never been easier! Donna has devised a plan that uses only three basic sewing techniques to create over 100 fabulous projects for your home. And any of them would make a powerful decorating statement in your room. You will learn:
- tested decorating tips and sewing techniques
- surefire strategies to customize projects to make them your own
- The secrets behind letting the fabric do most of the work for you
- This seminar is for all decorating divas, DIYers and scared silly beginners.
Is Your Interior Inferior?
If you’re bored with your room color or your furniture arranging skills could use some help, then this seminar is for you! Donna will take you through a simple exercise to profile your room. She will teach you how to organize your decorating thoughts and create one efficient, personalized road map. By planning your work, then working your plan—you will save time and money.
What’s Your Window Wearing?
Are you tired of the view from INSIDE your room? Then let’s play “dress-up” with your windows! Dressing your windows with simple yet stylish window treatments will change the look and mood of any room in your home. Donna shares her favorite window coverings that are so simple to make your windows will be stylishly dressed for any occasion.
Window Treatment Basics a.k.a. The Frankenstein Valance
Making your own window treatments is a great way to express your personal style when decorating (not to ignore the cost savings)! Besides, they are fun to make and easy to construct. In this 3-hour hands on workshop, Donna will share with you tips and tricks that the pros use as you construct a sample size valance. The skills you learn can be applied to any window treatment you make for your home. Some of the techniques include the order of construction, unique tabs, grommet insertion, trim tricks, motif placement and a sure-fire way to match repeats.
Donna’s Speaking Engagements include:
- American Sewing Expo, Novi, Michigan
- Sewing & Stitchery Expo, Puyallup, Washington
- Original Sewing and Quilt Expo, Atlanta, Tampa, Cleveland, Worchester
- International Quilt Festival, Houston, Texas
- American Sewing Guild National Conference, Dallas, Texas
- The Sewing and Style Show, Portland, Oregon
- Make-It Myself Expo, Toronto, Canada
- Sew It Seams, British Columbia, Canada
- The Creative Festival, Denver, Colorado
- Home and Decorating Show, Chicago, Illinois
- ASG, Prescott, Arizona
- Wilbert Vault Manufacturer’s National Convention
- Creative Exchanges, London, England
- Husqvarna Viking National Dealer’s Convention
- Parks and Recreation Adult Education, Carroll County, MD
- Pacific Fabrics, Seattle, Washington (all locations)
- Haberman Fabrics, Royal Oaks, MI
- Byrne Sewing Center, Philadelphia, PA
- Danneman Fabrics (now Calico Corners), all locations
- Publishers Marketing Association
- Ellicott City Sew & Vac, Ellicott City, MD